We've been having a problem for the last month with the pigs escaping. And it's been getting progressively worse daily. We are using hog, goat and combination panels to keep them in a wooded area about 75' x 75'. We've used panels since we got the pigs without a problem until this past month when the piglets realized they could get under them in places. Then the adults started following suit. We used logs against the fence at first without much success. Then we started hanging cinder blocks. That worked better but only for a while.
It seemed they really wanted to get to the acorns so we collected them and threw them in. Then we tried feeding them earlier in the morning. Then we tried feeding them more. Finally we decided we just needed to move the whole thing and reinforce it all with rebar attached to the panels to hold them down. That would make it more work to move it so we would make it small and move it frequently to new ground for them to forage.
A few days ago we hauled the hog panels up from the other location and my helper here started pounding in rebar. That bright smile was, in part, in anticipation of actually being able to contain the pigs again and not have to chase and herd pigs twice daily any more.
All settled in their decided smaller digs. Yaaaa! There are tons of acorns in there with them. It's right under a large oak. And given that it is such a small area they would only be here a few days.
Flash forward to the next morning. The dogs woke me barking at the pigs that were no longer in their pen but had broken out yet again. Malia's out in the rain helping to reinforce the pen. We got them back in and they were out again within a half hour. OK.... I get it. We absolutely need electric fencing or at the very least a strand low. I'm working on it.